Swapping your home

You can swap your rented home with someone else who has a home with us, a home with another housing association or a home with a local council. This is called a mutual exchange.

Please speak to us if you’d like to swap your home, as you need our permission, as well as permission from the other landlord.

How to swap your home

You'll need to register with one of the following service to be able to swap your home. Click the links to register online:

  • Homeswapper (this is free to you as our resident) It’s easy to register and you’ll see homes in your area and across the UK. There are thousands of potential swaps every week that you can search and get match alerts by email and text. There’s a forum to share more information and with over 27,000 homes registered to swap, what are you waiting for!
  • UK home swap (you have to pay to register)  
  • House exchange (you have to pay to register).

You’ve found a swap, what now?

When you’ve found someone to swap with, please give us a call and we'll talk you through the next steps. Remember:

  • There are different types of tenancies, so make sure you don’t lose out by moving home - speak to us about it first
  • Don’t move before you’ve been given permission, and before the paperwork’s been signed by everyone involved
  • You arrange and pay for the move yourself
  • If the home you move into is in a poor condition, you’ll be responsible for damage caused by the previous person.

We’ll need to have a look around your home and meet with you and the person you want to swap with. We’ll send you a letter to say if the swap can go ahead. This can take few weeks while we look at the circumstances with the other landlord.

There are times when you won’t be able to swap, such as:

  • You’re a starter tenant
  • The home you want to move into will be too small or too big
  • You owe rent
  • You or the person you’re swapping with has not kept to the terms of the tenancy agreement.