Subletting your home

If you want to sublet your home you might need to get permission from us. What you need to do depends on how you bought your home. Take a look at the sections below to find out more.

Shared Owners and Do It Yourself Shared Owners (DIYSO)

As a shared owner, your lease won’t allow you to sublet your home but in certain circumstances we may give you permission for a limited period of time. For example, we may allow you to sublet if you have to temporarily move to another area for work or to care for a relative.

If you'd like to sublet your home, you must:

  • Write or email us saying why you need to do this
  • Agree to certain conditions if we're able to give our permission
  • Pay our subletting fee

If we give you permission, it’ll be subject to the following conditions: 

  • It’s for a limited time, usually six months, but can be extended to a maximum of two years
  • You get your mortgage provider's written consent and give us a copy (they may charge you for this and they may also charge you a higher rate of interest on your mortgage if you sublet)
  • You let the property on a six month fixed term Assured Shorthold Tenancy and give us a copy
  • The rent payable by your sub-tenant is no more than 15% above the amount you need to meet your mortgage, rent and service charge payments
  • You remain responsible for all repairs to your property and for all payments due to us
  • You give us your contact address and telephone number. If you'll be living abroad we require a correspondence address in England or Wales  
  • You use a letting agent to vet your tenants to minimise the risk of anti-social behaviour or behaviour that could invalidate the buildings insurance
  • You are responsible for checking  that everyone aged 18 or over who'll be living in the property has the "Right to Rent" as required by the Immigration Act 2014
  • You are responsible for your tenants and their behaviour. If there are any issues we'll let you know and expect you to deal with your tenants directly
  • It will be your responsibility to carry out gas appliance checks and electricity installation checks at required intervals

Subletting your home can have tax implications. For more information about this, contact the local Inland Revenue office or click the following link to open the Citizens Advice Bureau website.

Other leaseholders

If you bought your home under right to buy, right to acquire or from another leaseholder, your lease will say whether or not you are able to sublet your home. Where there are restrictions on subletting, we’ll consider requests on a personal basis, subject to certain conditions.

In either case, please contact us before you sublet. You should also get independent legal advice. 

There is a fee for subletting your property. Please see additional charges for more information. You also need to be aware of the following:

  • You must check your lease and ask for our permission, if it’s needed
  • If you have a mortgage you’ll need your lender’s permission
  • Make sure you have contents insurance if your home’s furnished, and make sure your insurer knows you’re subletting
  • Use a reputable lettings agency to manage your home, their terms will vary so it pays to shop around
  • You need to provide us with your new contact address and telephone number. If you are moving abroad we require a correspondence address in England or Wales  
  • Make sure you continue to pay your service charges and ground rent to us
  • Provide your tenants with an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, which will need to reflect the terms and conditions of your lease. This will be for a minimum of six months
  • Give your tenant our contact details in case there are urgent problems affecting the building
  • You are responsible for your tenants and their behaviour. If there are any issues we will let you know and expect you to deal with your tenants directly
  • It’s your responsibility to carry out gas safety checks and electrical checks at the required intervals