Changes to benefits

The Government’s making changes to the benefit system and you may have heard this being called Welfare Reform. The changes will affect many of you, so you do need to be aware of what they are. To find out more click play above to watch our short video, and read on...

Bedroom tax

Do you claim housing benefit to help pay your rent? Do you have more rooms than the Government says you need? If so, you could lose some of your housing benefit as the Government's reduced the amount of housing benefit some people can now claim. This is called Bedroom Tax. To find out more, have a look at our Bedroom Tax page.

Universal Credit

The Government is starting to roll-out Universal Credit across large areas of the country. Universal Credit's a new simple monthly payment which in most cases is paid direct to you and replaces six working age benefits. This means that rent won't be paid directly by housing benefit to us, but you'll have to make rent payments yourself. To find out more have a look at our Universal Credit page.

Benefit cap

The amount you can get in benefits may have been capped from July 2013. The Government will add up how much you get from a range of benefits, and if you get more than the maximum, your housing benefit will go down. To find out more, have a look at our Benefit cap page.

Non-dependant deductions

Do you have someone over 18 living with you, other than your partner or joint tenant? If so, your housing benefit may be reduced by an amount each week, called a non-dependant deduction, and you may have more rent to pay. To find out more, have a look at our Non-dependant deductions page.

Council tax benefit

Are you of working age and claim council tax benefit? If so, the amount of support you get may have been cut from April 2013. This could mean you have to start paying council tax, if you don’t already. This is because the Government is reducing the amount of money available and asking local councils to run their own schemes. To find out more, have  look at our Council tax benefit page.

Pension age

The age you receive your state pension could change because the qualifying age is going up. To find out more, have a look at our Pension age page.

Changes to disability living allowance

If you’re aged 16-64 and used to get disability living allowance, this changed to Personal Independence Payments (PIP) from 8 April 2013. To find out more, have a look at our Changes to disability living allowance page.

If you live in supported housing, the way these changes affect you might be different, so please take a look at our Benefit changes in supported housing page.

Don't forget, if you'd like further information and tips on making your money go further, visit our Be Money Ready website.