Thinking about moving home, maybe swapping your home or moving out? Read on to see what we can help you with and what you need to think about.
If you want to buy a home with us, click on the Find a home button on the left.
If you already rent your home with us, and want to move to another one of our homes or another housing association or council house, there are two options:
- Bid for a home through choice based lettings
If you're eligible, you can bid for homes advertised each week in your local paper or on local choice based lettings websites (see below)
- Exchange or swap your home with someone living in another housing association or council house
You need to register with Homeswapper to do this, have a look at Swap your home below for more information.
Here’s some helpful links to local choice based lettings websites in our area:
- Homechoice Bristol
- Homechoice South Gloucestershire
- Homechoice North Somerset
- Homefinder Somerset
- Homesearch Bath and North East Somerset
- Gloucestershire Homeseeker.
- There are a limited number of homes available so we recommend you sign up to both choice based lettings and to one or more mutual exchange sites (have a look at Swap your home below for links to these websites)
- Tell us you're looking to move, especially if you don’t have access to the internet as we can help with this.
You can usually swap your rented home with someone else who has a home with us, a home with another housing association or a home with a local council.
Please speak to us if you’d like to swap your home, as you need our permission, as well as permission from the other landlord.
How to swap your home
Click the following links to register online:
- Homeswapper (this is free to you as our resident)
It’s easy to register and you’ll see homes in your area and across the UK. There’s thousands of potential swaps every week that you can search and get match alerts by email and text. There’s a forum to share more information and with over 27,000 homes registered to swap, what are you waiting for!
- UK home swap (you have to pay to register)
- House exchange (you have to pay to register).
You’ve found a swap, what now?
When you’ve found someone to swap with, please give us a call and we'll talk you through the next steps. Remember:
- There are different types of tenancies, so make sure you don’t lose out by moving home - speak to us about it first
- Don’t move before you’ve been given permission, and before the paperwork’s been signed by everyone involved
- You arrange and pay for the move yourself
- If the home you move into is in a poor condition, you’ll be responsible for damage caused by the previous person.
We’ll need to have a look around your home and meet with you and the person you want to swap with. We’ll send you a letter to say if the swap can go ahead. This can take few weeks while we look at the circumstances with the other landlord.
There are times when you won’t be able to swap, such as:
- You’re a starter tenant or you've got an Assured Shorthold Tenancy
- The home you want to move into will be too small or too big
- You owe rent
- You or the person you’re swapping with has not kept to the terms of the tenancy agreement.
You must give us 28 days’ notice in writing that you want to end your tenancy.
Before you move out we'll need to visit you to check your home and any gardens are tidy, and in a reasonable state.
At the point you leave you must:
- Make sure your home and garden is in good condition and that you haven’t left any of your possessions behind
- Have told your utility companies your leaving date and have given them meter readings
- Give us your keys on the last day of the tenancy.
For more information check your Tenancy Agreement, or get in touch and we'll be happy to help.