Aids and Adaptations

If you or someone in your family has a disability or illness, we can sometimes change the design of your home and the fittings in it to help you.

We can help to adapt your home if, for example, you find it difficult to:

 Some examples of the type of work we can organise and pay for are:

If you think an adaptation would help you, please get in touch and we'll be happy to help.

Is planning permission needed?

If the work is outside, such as a ramp, you may need planning permission from the council. We’ll be happy to help you with this.

Do you need our permission?

Yes. It's always a good idea to speak to us first, as we may be able to pay for the work.

We’ll only refuse permission if your home is not suited to the work that needs to be done.

Who pays for adaptations?

We pay for adaptations costing up to £3,500. If the work is likely to cost more you'll need to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant through the local authority. We can help you to fill in the forms and contact the right people.

Minor adaptations costing up to £1,000, such as grab rails, will be ordered straightaway through the Customer Contact Team. These will normally be completed for you within three weeks.

Work costing between £1,000 and £3,500 will need to be approved by an Occupational Therapist. We can advise you how to do this.

If you can't get a grant, some charities may be able to help, for example the British Legion or Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) for ex-servicemen and their families.

Your local Home Improvement Agency may know of other sources of charitable funding.

Your occupational therapist will be able to give advice about alternative options, such as equipment, and where to get it from.

What if my home can’t be adapted?

Some properties can’t be adapted, perhaps because of the design or location. We will work with you to find a more suitable home for you to move to. We may be able to help pay towards the cost of the move if we have funds available.